While NYC Men Teach does not directly endorse or offer any type of teacher certification, it does connect you to programs through the Department of Education which do offer teacher certification. Wheter in a traditional certifcation program or an alternative certification program, there are some basic requirements that all New York state teachers have to meet. All requirements must be met in both types of certifcation programs. It is only the amount of time it takes to earn certification that varies between traditional certifcation programs and alternative certifcation programs.

If you are an out-of-state teacher applying for New York state reciprocity, you can feel free to contact the State Board of Education as requirements vary depedning on indivudal experience and what certifcation you're looking for. 

If you are a first-time teacher applying for intitial certifcation, there are some steps you want to be sure that you've already taken to set you up for certification. You will additionally want to consult your onboarding manager if going through an alternative certifcation program, or your CUNY NYC Men Teach Program Manager on campus if going through a traditional certifcation program.

Complete the New Teacher Application

through the DOE website >>>


• Currently enrolled in a NYS registered program

   - If applying for recipocity, must have at least 3 years of

     teaching experience, and need to apply for the content

     and grade level in which you are currently certified

• Register to take and pass all certification exams

• Complete six hours of coursework training 

• Be cleared by the New York State Education Department

  through a fingerprint-supported criminal history background


Find out more about certification at www.highered.nysed.gov


(518) 474-3901

What is a NYS registered program?

A New York State registered program allows a potential teacher to work towards certification through courses and teaching experience. This may be through either a traditional certification program with one of our CUNY partners: Brooklyn College, City College, College of Staten Island, Hunter College, Lehman College, Medgar Evers College, New York City College of Technology, Queens College and York College, or an alternative certification program with one of our organizational partners: New York Teaching Fellows, New York City Teaching Collaborative, and Teach For America.


What tests do I need to take to become certified?

If you are a first-year teacher in either a traditional certification or an alternative certification program, or an out-of-state teacher seeking reciprocity, you will need to take the following exams:

• edTPA

• Educating All Students (EAS) test

• Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST)

• Content Specialty Test (CST)

When can I take these tests and how do I sign up?

Most NYSTCE computer-based testing is available year-round by appointment, Monday through Saturday (excluding some holidays). Scores are reported throughout the program year. Please note that you must wait 60 days after taking a computer-based tests before retaking the same test.To check availability as well as to sign up for a testing date, go to: www.pearsonvue.com/es/sa/.

What is the coursework training and how do I complete it?

In accordance with Article 2 Sections 10-18 of the Education Law, NYCMT anchors will have to complete six clock hours of coursework training in Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination Prevention and Intervention. These trainings are only available from a provider approved by the New York State Education Department. A list of providers is available on the DASA provider’s web page and fees vary by provider. If enrolled in a traditional certification program or an alternative certification program, the required coursework training will be provided as part of the teacher education program. Reciprocity candidates will have to independently find, register, and complete the required coursework training.


What support can I expect to get around certification from NYCMT?

New York City Men Teach will provide each first-year anchor with an ambassador, who will personally guide you in navigating the certification process through one-on-one professional development planning conferences and virtual consulting sessions. In addition, NYCMT offers exam preparation study sessions specifically for NYCMT anchors throughout the summer.


Are there any other steps I should know?

Yes, you will want to be sure that you complete and submit a DOE New Teacher Application at www.teacherssupportnetwork.com as well as complete and submit your NYCMT application at www.nycmenteach.org.


When will I need to get fingerprinted?

After you have filled out a New Teacher Application through the Department of Education’s website, you will need to submit your fingerprints to the New York City Board of Education to pass a background check. Detailed information can be found at the Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability (OSPRA) website.


How can I find out my progress with certification and any other requirements?

As overall certification requirements may differ for each potential anchor (including out-of-state reciprocity candidates) we urge you to use New York State’s Office of Higher Education website for more information at www.highered.nysed.gov. You may also feel free to call (518) 474-3901. Please note that with the Office of Higher Education receiving 12,000 new teacher applications monthly, staff are available to answer questions 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. 

Download our Certification One-Pager